School History

The Jefferson Elementary School community includes students, staff, parent volunteers and an active and supportive Parent/Teacher Organization.

Jefferson Elementary School opened its doors for the first time in September of 1960. The Board of Education on October 13th, 1959, voted unanimously to name the new elementary school in honor of the third president of the United States. The school children had cast votes and Thomas Jefferson was their choice.

Jefferson Elementary School was expanded with the addition of a second floor in 1973 to accommodate the rapidly growing northern section of the borough.

On April 12th, 1960, Mr. David Pavlin was named as the first principal. Since 1960, Jefferson Elementary School has had six other principals. They were Mr. Perc Keller, Mr. Joseph Vitale, Dr. Gerard McDonnell, Mrs. Veronica Appelle, Mr. Adam Fried, Mrs. Rosanne Zagatta, and now Mr. Droske.

One of three elementary schools, the school originally was a kindergarten to Grade 8 school. It was converted to a Pre-K to Grade 5 in 1984 when Lincoln School became a middle school. The present Jefferson School includes 230 students in Pre-K through Grade 5. Our school now consists of 19 classrooms, an all-purpose room, library and computer lab. Students receive special instruction in art, vocal music, library, and physical education. Recorder instruction is provided to students in Grade 3 and instrumental music is optional for the fourth and fifth grades.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2019 West Corporation. All rights reserved.